My frag tank was set up to after I had my 5.5 reef tank set up and the coral started to outgrow the tank. Admittedly, this isn’t the most elegant frag tank, but it served its purpose and it was in my basement anyways. I was using the same light I used on my seahorse tank way back. I had a decent amount of flow in this tank, and also had a makeshift “refugium” from an overhand power filter in the back of the tank. I never had any fish in the tank, and only a couple of trochus snails and scarlet red hermit crabs. There were also some other snails that I honestly don’t know where they came from or what they exactly were. They looked like baby nassarius snails, so I first thought they may have been predatory whelks. After testing them with some limpets, I still don’t know what they were for sure, but they never bothered the trochus snails so I left them in there. The green ball in the picture above is chaeto, not hair algae.
Tank: 10 gallon fish tank
Heater: Aqueon Pro Submersible 100W Heater
Pump: Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump
Lighting: Current Orbit VHO Fluorescent
Filtration: AquaClear Filter as a Refugium & Internal Whisper Filter
Kenya Tree Coral
Scarlet Red Hermit Crabs
I used this tank as a frag/quarantine tank. The kenya tree coral in particular in my 5.5 gallon reef tank definitely outgrew the tank. I needed to frag it just to keep it in check, and because I hate killing things I started throwing the frags in this tank to grow them out. I ended up being able to sell the frags on craigslist. Besides the kenya tree coral, I’ve fragged my Xenia Coral and mushrooms. As I mentioned, I also used this tank to quarantine new corals or fish to my tank. This helped me make sure I didn’t introduce anything I didn’t want to my main tank, and also allowed me to check on the health of the animal.
The frag tank had an egg crate platform I built with multiple layers so I could have lower light corals on the bottom. I also built an acrylic frag tray by drilling holes the size of frag plugs in it. This allowed me to separate corals if I wanted to a little more. I also had a glass gar with some rock rubble and frag plugs. Instead of using rubber bands or super glue to attach the coral to the plugs, I let them attach themselves in the low flow protected jar. This worked especially well for mushrooms.